Monday, June 22, 2009

Summer Book Report, Volume 2

Today's installment is one of my absolute faves.  I had heard about this book early on in my running journey.  However, I kept putting off reading it, in part due to the fact that copies are almost impossible to find because it's out of print.  When I read it, I was mesmerized.  Today, I bring you:

Once a Runner, by John L. Parker, Jr.


What it's about:  Collegiate runner Quentin Cassidy goes full out to see how good of a miler he can be.  Mentored by Olympian Bruce Denton, he moves away from everything and everyone to live, breathe, sleep and eat running.  His breakout performance comes in a meet at his University that he has to run in disguise, since he's been kicked off the team.  This book answers the age-old question asked by relatives and friends of any dedicated runner; namely "Why".  The book takes that question, spits on it and asks "Why not?".

What I learned: This book confirmed the paradoxical secret of distance running that I thought I might have discovered on my way to my pedestrian achievements.  The secret is that there is no secret.  They even state this in the book.  The "secret" is hours on the pavement, trails, tracks, etc.  The "secret" is not the latest workout in Runner's World.  The "secret" is not the latest piece of gear.  The "secret" is the same secret that Lydiard and other coaches discovered in the middle of the 20th Century.  Run more miles, use that as a base to do some decent workouts and then kick butt.  

If this book was a band, it would be: Led freakin' Zepellin baby.  Like Led Zep, this book came out in the '70s.  Sometimes when I hear Led Zepellin I'm floored that the music is so good and wonder why I don't listen to them more.  Same with the book.  I've read it three times in the last three years and wonder each time why I don't read it more.  

How's the writing?  Gotta be brutally honest here.  Imagine a talented writer.  Now take that writer and put them back in 12th grade English or an early writing course in college.  They're still full of angst and in the course of trying to be the best writer they can, they go a little over the top with their descriptions.  That's my best assessment of the writing in this book.  If you are in to the running, it won't matter because the insights made on training and racing are simply incredible.  If that part goes over your head, however it is rough sledding.

After you read this: ....you might be in danger of burning your collection of Runner's World mags.  You also might be in danger of getting rid of any and every excuse for not being the runner you want to be.  

Final note:  Last I checked, Once a Runner was still out of circulation but there were plans to put out a new edition by a publishing company.  I suggest you wait for this instead of ordering it used for 100+ dollars.  It's good, but not THAT good!

No comments: