Sunday, July 26, 2009

FEAR THE TURTLE!!!!

Greetings dear readers (reader?  greetings thin air?  hello?)

Anyway, my relatively anonymous blog affords the opportunity to scream an exciting piece of news out loud.

My absence of posts was no doubt a huge daily letdown to my litany of fans (fan? hello? is this thing on?).  The lame, but honest, explanation for that is as follows:

1) Time:  I'm interim department chair now and they actually expect me to work and act like a grownup.  The taxpayers of Virginia are starting to get their money's worth, but it's really cutting back on mindless loitering on the internet.

2) Topics:  My two main topics on this blog have been Landon's football recruiting and running.  As many of you faithful followers (follower?  is that an echo?) know, I've been up and down on the running thing to the point where I enjoy it but am not really motivated to write about it.  As for Landon, I freakin' love talking about recruiting and am no doubt boring the crap out of 75% of Rockingham County.  The problem is now that we've entered in to the real meat of the recruiting phase, we have to have something of a poker face.  There are too many recruitniks out there in cyberspace.  An honest appraisal of Landon's visits, what he liked, and especially what he didn't like is liable to give attention we really don't need and lead to potential misunderstandings with coaching staffs.  As crazy as it seems that they may find this site, stranger things have happened and people (recruitniks, not coaches) are already misinterpreting and twisting things about Landon.

So, even though I know who he likes, who he doesn't and what type of school he's looking for, I can't say much.  What I can tell ALL of you is that Landon just got his first offer!  I got an e-mail reply message (hear that NCAA?  He was replying to me and didn't initiate  contact prior to September 1st as stipulated in paragraph 5, clause zz in your 1,000 page recruiting regulations) from a UMd. coach that said that they would love for Landon to be part of their future and that an offer would be coming to us the first week of September (see NCAA? We did not receive a written offer prior to September 1 of his junior year as stipulated in your harumph harumph blah blah blah).  

Actually, this is apparently his second offer.  When I called Landon's coach to tell him the news, I was informed that Virginia Tech has also stated the same thing, but went through Landon's coach instead of us.  This was, of course, because they didn't want to initiate contact (NCAA, we and these schools are as white as the driven snow so far).  The coach also stated that he felt Landon had three offers because [university name withdrawn] said they were going to offer Landon after making sure that he was healthy and doing well after a couple of games.  I'm still counting two.  To count [university name withdrawn] at this point would be like someone saying they are engaged because their fiance stated that they would be asking for their hand in marriage provided the next few dates go well.  

Anyway, I'm real proud of Landon and his accomplishments to date.  The next few months should be really interesting.  So interesting that I paradoxically can't write much here.  I mean, I can't even write about the new BMW that I've been promised by an SEC school (kidding NCAA, kidding).

PS-  THIS OFFER DOES NOT MEAN THAT LANDON IS OR IS NOT GOING TO ANY OF THESE SCHOOLS.  I just needed to say that in the off chance that recruitniks or coaches actually see this (hello?)

5 comments:

Brutalism said...

This faithful reader (who clicks on the link from my own blog to yours EVERY SINGLE DAY like some kind of mental patient in the hope of a new post) is here and happy to see you writing again, Mr. Important Smarty Professor Job Pants. That is awesome about Landon -- what an exciting process for you and your family to go through.

Macker said...

So YOU'RE the one who checks it. Mrs. Canedo, you've got either way too much time on your hands or you are a blog addict. I'm going w/ the latter. It certainly does help you w/ yours though. It remains hilarious.

Speaking of which, I loved your camping report recently. I did feel a little guilty though and was hoping that your hatred of camping wasn't because you almost froze to death when you went camping w/ us back at JMU.

Brutalism said...

Macker - I do believe I referenced that exact camping trip (no tents, no blankets, wine coolers, hot dogs pre-stuffed with cheese and chili) in a blog post o' mine. It was obviously influential in my life. And not in a good way. Although, I think it was a fun trip in spite of all that.

I'm totally your blog stalker.

Glad you're still reading my potty humor I'm-still-eight-years-old blog. That somehow validates me.

Macker said...

Wow, I'd forgotten about the gourmet food. I guess that part of my memory was killed by the freezing temperatures. WINE COOLERS?????????

Brutalism said...

The folly ("folly" meaning bad taste) of youth...