Thursday, May 14, 2009

Summer Book Report, Volume 1

Eugene Peterson, famous Christian scholar and author, once said, “you are what you read”. I think there’s a lot to that. TV shows and movies can change your mood for an hour, but books can change the way you view something for the rest of your life. Given that heavy introduction, this will be the first installment of running books that have influenced me. Today’s book report

Running with the Buffaloes, by Chris Lear


What it’s about: Former runner and aspiring writer follows the Colorado University Cross-Country team for a season. This team features Adam Goucher, a US Olympian, but also includes a lot of solid, but not spectacular runners that post some remarkable performances.

What I learned: I’ll never forget when I first read this book. I was still living in Michigan, but was flying home for an alumni award from my old department at JMU. I started the book on the plane and couldn’t put it down. I remember that book more than anything else about the trip. I was out of shape and was occasionally running for fitness at the time. Every now and again I promised myself that I’d train for this race or that race and my efforts would ultimately fizzle. I was staying at my parents and went for a run the first chance I got.

This is a chronicle of a team that pushes the envelope. Common worries about injury and burnout are tossed aside as they push themselves and each other to see how good they can become. It helped me rid myself of the myth that weekend hacks like me can’t run high mileage. It transformed my training and resulted in achieving my long-time, albeit pedestrian, goals like breaking 40 in a 10k and qualifying for the Boston Marathon.

If this book was a band, it would be: An ‘80s punk band like Minor Threat. The training and racing of the Buffs is old-school, smart, full of integrity and doesn’t heed warnings from traditionalists. It also works.

How’s the writing?: Not great. It’s a well-written diary, not much more. Like many running books, it doesn’t have to be that great. The inspiration and the passion is in the topic. Non-runners will generally not like the book as a result, although sports enthusiasts will likely see themes that resonate.

After you read this: You’ll go for a run. Then you’ll go for one the next day and the next and the next and………………………………..

4 comments:

ShutUpandRun said...

I want to read this one. Sounds very inspiring, but not a book that tries to hard to be inspiring. Is just the real story and that in and of itself gets you going. Do you promise if I read it I'll BQ?

Macker said...

No guarantees, but I highly recommend it for "mental" training. Heck, I think you're going to get there w/ or w/o the book.

-C

ownyourbackbone.blogspot.com said...

Hi Macker, It's Clair Norman (Beth, Ken and Glen's friend from Richmond) I've been loving your input through Beth's blog and will look forward to more! I'm always looking for good running reads so I appreciate this post. Also, ever heard of "Chi Running" by Danny Dreyer? My Yoga-self likes it. Wondering if you had an thoughts on it.

Macker said...

Hey Clair! Great to hear from you. Haven't read that one, so unfortunately I can't comment on it. But if it works for you and gets you out the door, that's a winner.