Thursday, October 2, 2008

Running slower to get fast.......

This is one of the many running paradoxes I've discovered in my attempts to lower my pedestrian PR's. For me, I don't do well unless I run a lot of miles. I also don't recover from workouts very well, so if I want to be at all sharp, my easy days need to be easy so that the workouts can be hard. Fortunately, the knowledge that I need some days where I'm simply plodding along comes along at a time in my life where I could care less if I am running slow in full view of everyone in town. My newfound running humility courtesy of the following:

1) I'm older and less hung up on that crap.

2) Athletes in Action camp last summer

3) The amazing realization that people in town could give a crap how slow I am.

4) The amazing realization that people in town don't know what slow is in running terms.......or fast for that matter.

This morning's run was a pleasant slog up around Eastern Mennonite University and back. I looked amazing.

1 comment:

ShutUpandRun said...

This is good advice. I am finally learning to slow down so I can go further distances. I never was that fast to begin with. I actually ran nine miles on Saturday which was a first for me. I was passed by some gazelle-like woman sprinting along with her matching flowered running skirt and shirt. My running partner said, "That's not marathon pace." That helped us to feel a bit superior, like this woman was probably only out sprinting for a half mile, then heading home.