Wednesday, October 22, 2008

I GET to do this.........

As anyone can surmise from my last post, running was becoming a job again. I had also grown too old and too busy for another job. Thus began a series of days when instead of following my running schedule, I went for a run. What's the difference? Plenty.

Today I laced 'em up and went out the door not knowing if I was going for 20 minutes or 2 hours. I headed to Purcell park and hit each loop not knowing if I would continue or not. As I went along I slowed up when I wanted, sped up when I wanted and just enjoyed a great fall day. Reminded me of so many things in life that I let myself get in the way of enjoying.

Dawn is forever telling me that I don't enjoy the process. She's right. My type A-task orientation has always got me thinking one step in the future. It helps me get a lot of things done, but it also causes a fair amount of angst. No coincidence that I have a lifetime pattern of picking up activities, wringing the life out of them and then stopping once I burned out.

I thought I was getting to that burned out point with running, but the last few days have reminded me that I can go for a run whenever I feel and do it however I feel. After all, this is my freakin' recreational pursuit as I tell myself often.

1 comment:

ShutUpandRun said...

This is such a great reminder. I'm finding myself getting so bogged down by the rules of training - how many miles today? How long? What pace? - that at times it feels so much more like an obligation than recreation, relaxation and being in the moment. It can really take the fun out of it. Doing it on your own terms certainly brings back some of the enjoyment. I think when you are a task oriented person who puts 100% into things it's tough to relax into it sometimes.